Fashion Editor Cyrena Arnold shares her style tips with BGKI…
What inspires you to blog?
I have an online magazine Freak Deluxe, I wanted to have a separate site/blog for my own personal style. I love Lookbook.nu and am totally inspired by some of the bloggers on there.
How would you define your personal style?
I’m very classic and casual most of the time. I love elements of the Rock Chick and Grunge looks, hence my obsession with leather and studs. I look and feel my best when I’m totally comfortable. Typical outfit would be - jacket, t-shirt/sweater, skinny jeans, and ankle boots/heels.
Do you find that you follow fashion trends, or do you play by your own rules?
I definitely play by my own rules but I do take little pieces here and there from various trends. Right now I’m loving neon and florals (although I don’t own that many floral pieces). I live for animal prints, especially multicoloured ones.
Items to get, what are you searching for right now?
- More head wear, I just bought a black leather baseball cap on eBay, I’m contemplating getting the Orange one too (looks like Hermes orange) but I don’t know if it’ll suit my skin tone. Also looking for more beanies.
- I’m going to make myself a couple of dresses and skirts for the summer; and purchase some more colourful jeans if I can find them in my length!
- I need to get some studs to stud a clutch and some heels I have, they need an update.
Are there any colors you tend to shy away from, and if so why?
I tend to stay away from brown, unless it’s leopard print. It doesn’t compliment my skin tone at all! I have one brown thing in my closet, a trench; I love it but rarely wear it because it’s brown.
When you hear the term “Black Girl Killing It” what comes to mind?
Me! Kidding; a black girl that’s on point, knows what suits her and looks great at all times!
As a child were you always into clothes or did you grow into your own fashion sense?
Oh my god I loved clothes as a child, my grandmother and mom bought me clothes all the time. My grandmother was always sewing, I grew up wanting to be a fashion designer!
Do you participate in your local fashion scene?
There is no local fashion scene where I live. I am the local fashion scene! :D
How does your day to day life factor into your wardrobe choices?
A lot! I run online magazine Freak Deluxe so I’m always in and out of Central London running around to press days etc. My Dr Martens are my go to shoe, perfect for all weather conditions and comfortable all day! If I have a few appointments, I’ll heel it up. I also love to wear layers due to the fact that the British weather is sooooo tempermental.
What is your greatest fashion pet peeve?
I hate to see people letting clothes wear them as opposed to them wearing the clothes. People should only wear what suits them rather than what they’re told to wear by the media.
Have you ever tried your hand at design or sewing?
Yep! I design and make clothes for myself, I also customise. In the past I’ve made dresses for TV series’, and music artists.
Are there any designers that you like to wear or whose clothing stands out with you?
I have super long legs so I can’t buy trousers/jeans everywhere; my go-to jean used to be Armani but now I buy mainly vintage/thrift and high st like Topshop, River Island, Zara, Miss Selfridge and ASOS. If I did buy designer I’d be wearing Proenza Schouler, Givenchy, Alexander Wang, and Equipment ( I love their button down shirts!)
Who are your style icons?
I LOVED Aaliyah and TLC when I was coming up :D! Now I love Solange, Tilda Swinton, Leigh Lezark, Mary-Kate Olsen, Erin Wasson, and Steven Tyler!
Your five must-haves as a girl:
- pair of black skinny jeans
- cute leather jacket
- killer shoe collection
- decent red lipstick
- Good hair! (Please note: this does not mean relaxed/straight! It means hair that looks good and suits the individual!!!)
tagged as: BGKI, Cyrena Arnold, Fashion Deluxe, Armani, interview, Aaliyah, fashion,
- berebarbot likes this
- dopesince1992 likes this
- effinamazing likes this
- engmatik reblogged this from comfyinmycoolness
- adohrsworld likes this
- oddgurl-curls likes this
- minkimouse reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- kachelleshouts reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- me--time reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- xiuemiko likes this
- yozeenathewarriorprincess likes this
- belizeanbabe13 reblogged this from blackandkillingit and added:
- elversace likes this
- couturelife likes this
- hadizasabo reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- cyrenamonique reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- cyrenamonique likes this
- ummx2 likes this
- skinnyjenius likes this
- classkick likes this
- seanbkenobiii likes this
- doyayoda likes this
- qualifieddr likes this
- designsavvysalon reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- aylaabelle8 likes this
- shesanepidemic reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- chaostheatre likes this
- nefermaathotep likes this
- theoceanandthesky reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- wolves-likelovers likes this
- blackandkillingit posted this