Ayesha Ibrahim gives us advice on why one should not match…
What inspires you to blog?
I blog because I want my readers to know the story behind my style and my ASMI creations. Each ASMI piece has a story behind it and I want to share that. In some posts I share how the piece was constructed or where I wore it and other posts I just want my readers to know what happened in my day that inspired such a dress or even what was it that inspired me to choose a particular color. I enjoy telling these stories, to be honest it took me a while to start blogging but now that I’ve started I can’t stop.
How would you define your personal style?
Hmmm, my style is very versatile; I would say my personal style is vibrant meets funky meets electric meets true elegance.
Do you find that you follow fashion trends, or do you play by your own rules?
I have always made my own rules especially where fashion is concerned; I rather stand out than blend in.
Items to get, what are you searching for right now?
- I am always searching for more shoes but what I am really searching for right now is of course…new fabric choices for a new collection
- A really good concealer to cover up my eyes from my late nights of sewing
- Gold lipstick, I want to give it a try.
Are there any colors you tend to shy away from, and if so why?
At this point I am shying away from black simply because when I look in my closet I see too much of it so I am trying to replace it with more color.
When you hear the term “Black Girl Killing It” what comes to mind?
The term “Black Girl Killing It” makes me proud!! I think of funk, expression, culture and most of all I think of a movement!
As a child were you always into clothes or did you grow into your own fashion sense?
From the time I could remember I was always into clothes, I remember modeling my mother’s jewelry and exploring her wardrobe. Also from the age of 7 I had a dressmaker who my mother took me to every month so I could describe to her the dress I wanted her to make for my next special occasion; I always loved creating my own style.
Do you participate in your local fashion scene?
I definitely try to once my schedule allows it because it is in my best interest as a fashion designer to participate and be aware of my local fashion scene. Also, I really enjoy networking and it brings me joy when I meet others and they want to know more about ASMI.
How does your day to day life factor into your wardrobe choices?
My day to day life is very hectic and it leaves me most days not looking like the fashion lover that I am. I am usually racing around in my car running errands and collecting fabric or, at my sewing table in my glasses and in my most comfortable leggings and vest creating my patterns (not very fashionable). But when I have a event to attend I always try to make an outfit for myself that is different, will stand out amongst the rest and will make me feel truly beautiful; the outfit I make goes according to my mood at the time, it may be colorful, made out of lace and elegantly fitted , or just funky but whatever it is there is always that unique thread that makes it an ASMI piece.
What is your greatest fashion pet peeve?
I must say this question made me think a lot because I have many fashion pet peeves but I would have to say matching, everything does not have to match. I always encourage color blocking or pairing a bright colored or printed piece with a dark solid. It does not only brighten your outfit but you would be amazed at how much it will also brighten your day.
Have you ever tried your hand at design or sewing?
Oh of course, from the age of 8 I was hand sewing, I remember making handkerchiefs with embroidered prints on them, this continued till I was in my teens, from that age I would try to make my own clothes; now as a fashion designer sewing is literally my life, I have no other choice but to sew everyday but at least I can say that I truly enjoy it.
Are there any designers that you like to wear or whose clothing stands out with you?
I have an appreciation for all designers and their various styles and there are some that stand out with me for different reasons, for example, I love the vibrant signature prints of Diane Von Furstenberg, the comfort and practicality of Michael Kors and the structured yet sexy style of Emporio Armani.
Who are your style icons?
I am inspired by so many but if I had to name a few off the top of my head I would say Rihanna, Solange Knowles, Magazine Editor Shala Monroque, Folake of Stylepantry.com and of course my mother, she is the most iconic woman I know in every aspect.
Your five must-haves as a girl:
- The little black dress
- Fashionable handbag of a practical size
- Tailored jacket
- A comfortable, let me say again, comfortable pair of heels
- Bright lipstick, which may be red or pink or even gold, be bold, do not be afraid of color
tagged as: Ayesha Ibrahim, BGKI, blackandkillingit, Tailored Jacket, Heels, Michael Kors,
- thealexandergrey reblogged this from ofwoman
- iggzz likes this
- livityisnativity reblogged this from ethiopienne
- charismaticdiva reblogged this from hi-imcurrentlyobsessed
- hellojules1989 likes this
- krisrecale reblogged this from abeautiffulmind
- cnicroute likes this
- phi-elle reblogged this from abeautiffulmind
- phi-elle likes this
- lov3ofdarkn3ss likes this
- cindyidee reblogged this from abeautiffulmind
- lilrednaturalhood reblogged this from abeautiffulmind
- abeautiffulmind reblogged this from beautiffulcurls
- trescorpionic likes this
- avid971 likes this
- bishmodeactivated reblogged this from hi-imcurrentlyobsessed
- tenliyad reblogged this from ethiopienne
- andrele-na likes this
- viviopsis likes this
- indeathonly likes this
- essave likes this
- mycurlsandme reblogged this from hi-imcurrentlyobsessed
- mycurlsandme likes this
- msshan likes this
- faire-de-la-musique reblogged this from spawnofhumanbeings
- vanillamochachoca reblogged this from teenage-africa
- lyn-spired reblogged this from queenjenai
- teenage-africa reblogged this from vintageafrica
- akaniiism likes this
- westmorelandgoddess reblogged this from ladien
- mobrwn11 reblogged this from hi-imcurrentlyobsessed and added:
- mobrwn11 likes this
- donamina likes this
- whatstheteabitch likes this
- shardemarie reblogged this from ethiopienne and added:
- godsgift2mankind likes this
- julhana likes this
- tia-extract likes this
- mymentalsins reblogged this from hi-imcurrentlyobsessed
- jerkcules reblogged this from ndadark
- jerkcules likes this
- khryssi21 likes this
- tinyrabbitlove likes this
- queenjenai reblogged this from hi-imcurrentlyobsessed
- ladien reblogged this from hi-imcurrentlyobsessed
- peachcardinal reblogged this from ethiopienne
- lovemamadolls likes this
- thereasontosmile likes this
- rhapsody-tardisblue reblogged this from ethiopienne