Read why Internet Personality Latasha Mercer doesn’t chase Labels anymore…
What inspires you to be an Internet Personality?
I knew I wanted to be in entertainment— no matter what kind of venture. I tried to be a singer, I got scared. I tried to be a dancer, I wasn’t very good. I tried to be a model, I didn’t want to stay skinny (I love food!), so this is the next trial. I can’t ever see myself doing a 9-5 in an office. I’d go crazy.
How would you define your personal style?
My style… is having no style. Meaning, there are no confines or a certain “look” that I have. I see the fashion kids and “hipsters”, and them trying to be so different and outside of the box, actually makes them all look the same. I’m simple overall (sometimes feminine, sometimes ultra sexy, sometimes boyish), but I’d do wild accessories such as a black lipstick, spiked heels, and my white hair.
Do you find that you follow fashion trends, or do you play by your own rules?
Grrr… I hate trends! But I’d be a liar to say I NEVER follow them. I just hate the fact that the “this is in now” mindset is a “rule” to dressing. Wear what you love, even if that thing you happen to love at the moment is the trend.
Items to get, what are you searching for right now?
Well as of 5 minutes ago I am the new proud owner of the Rottweiler tee by Givenchy (seen on Kanye West, Rihanna, etc). I’ve been searching for it for months! I’m also waiting for the denim Armani jumpsuit Rihanna wore— it won’t be available until October.
Are there any colors you tend to shy away from, and if so why?
I don’t like pink, yellow, or anything neon. Yellow might compliment my skin color, but I don’t like colors too girly or anything that attracts too much attention. I will never do color-blocking.
When you hear the term “Black Girl Killing It” what comes to mind?
What comes to mind is a Black girl who’s look and style is undeniable. Along with what she actually represents in life (creating her own lane, following her dreams, being confident, strong, and intelliegent), her style is a reflection of her, without preceding her. Her style is her compliment to her greatness and doesn’t make her.
As a child were you always into clothes or did you grow into your own fashion sense?
All I wanted as a child was name-brand items. I’ve only chased labels like I saw all the kids my age wear up until high school and had absolutely no style. So I was always into clothes, just in the wrong way. In college I grew into my own (it took a lot of time) and bought clothes that made me look good, different, and made me happy, whether it was brand name or not. That’s when I started getting compliments.
Do you participate in your local fashion scene?
Yes. Since I began my web show and blog at DopeFiles.com, I’m always interested in the up and coming fashion designers— the new kids. There are no platforms or praise for them, and that’s what Dope Files was created for.
How does your day to day life factor into your wardrobe choices?
I just always want to be happy. I wore shorts in freezing weather because my emotions told me to not wear pants, and that was that. I’m sick now, but that was the choice I made to please myself in the moment (haha!). I always want to look good and be slightly different, so even if I’m wearing plain sweater and leggings, the shoes are crazy, or the earrings. Comfort can be sacrificed sometimes.
What is your greatest fashion pet peeve?
Label chasers. I hate seeing the red and green Gucci band with the huge silver “G” and the Louis Vuitton monogram print on accessories. It’s tacky. Especially when that’s what the rest of the outfit depends on, and doesn’t live up to.
Have you ever tried your hand at design or sewing?
-Definitely not sewing, but I have cut up a t-shirt or two and bleached my own jeans. Didn’t work out too well.
Are there any designers that you like to wear or whose clothing stands out with you?
I’m a shoe girl, and my budget is more valuable than what’s in my closet. I go goo goo for a great pair of Louboutins, so I treated myself to a pair for my birthday and can always spot them on the street before I see the color of the sole.
Who are your style icons?
Surprisingly Solange Knowles has really inspired me in the past year. All of a sudden she steps up her game and is photographed in the best outfits everywhere she goes. And it always comes off original, effortless, and natural. I also think Rihanna can do no wrong. Her looks excite me, even if it’s a hot mess— it’s a GOOD hot mess.
Your five must-haves as a girl:
- Every girl should save her pennies for a pair of Christian Louboutins. Even if it’s totally out of your budget, give yourself a birthday gift, a splurge for a job promotion, graduation pride… anything to celebrate yourself, and you never have to buy another pair again. It’s just… a rite of passage.
- Amazing shades. When the summertime hits or when you’re not looking too good, shades can elevate your look without trying.
- Skinny jeans. No matter what size you are, that skinny ankle just makes a woman’s legs look delicate.
- Something of your mother’s or grandmothers. I regret to this day not rummaging through my grandmother’s closet after her death, but I was a style-less 14 year old who didn’t have a clue. My mother had some great blouses and pants from the 90s that I also wish I owned from looking at photos. Gah!!! I really screwed that one up.
- Sally Hansen nail polish appliques. They look gorgeous and they’re incredibly easy to apply.
tagged as: Latasha Mercer, Dopefiles, BGKI, blackandkillingit, Interview,
- fetedujuliet reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- sexinredheels reblogged this from richgirlscloset
- richgirlscloset reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- dreamsonfire likes this
- beautyslovechild reblogged this from iamshade
- iamshade reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- ibee-natasha likes this
- persnicketys411 likes this
- mrsbarbiebabie likes this
- ranuisinuranus likes this
- oddolescent likes this
- lezb-inla likes this
- mychocolatecity likes this
- thegorgeousglow reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- imnotbutter likes this
- hotndbotheredastronaut likes this
- sweet-sereniti likes this
- charnecbreezy reblogged this from realitysmainbitch
- realitysmainbitch reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- aiidstylin reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- realitysmainbitch likes this
- aiidstylin likes this
- phranck-fruche reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- amethystlavenderphthaloblue likes this
- shejustlikestodance likes this
- strawberries-sakura reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- jiffycupcakes likes this
- strawberries-sakura likes this
- tasteherpride reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- freshmouthgoddess likes this
- djcagedbird reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- nigerianmade likes this
- naturalblkgirlsrock likes this
- blackandkillingit posted this