We Interview Shen D and get some insight into her style…
What inspires you to blog?
I’ve always been an artist, so my love for texture, color and patterns easily
translates into fashion! I see fashion as the ultimate form of creative self-
expression. Since it’s an integral part of who I am I find it easy to stay
inspired and share with everyone.
How would you define your personal style?
I’m a lover of many trends and style directions, I believe my relationship
to fashion is synthesizing them in to my unique visions. I can say I do
gravitate to graphic compositions.
Do you find that you follow fashion trends, or do you play by your
If I love the trend I’ll follow it but if I don’t I won’t. I try not to get caught up
in doing something just because everybody else does, it has to appeal to
me in order to translate properly.
Items to get, what are you searching for right now?
Shoes, Shoes, Shoes! I love thrifting and vintage shopping and I feel like
if your going to put the bulk of your money anywhere it should be shoes
and accessories. These items make or break your outfit. I’m lusting after
several Jeffery Campbell and Alexander Wang shoes.
Are there any colors you tend to shy away from, and if so why?
I embrace them all. The key is to find the right tonal range to suit you.
When you hear the term “Black Girl Killing It” what comes to mind?
A strong black confident woman, who is killin’ the game in whatever field
As a child were you always into clothes or did you grow into your
own fashion sense?
I was ALWAYS into clothes! My family always teases me, because I was
pretty outspoken about what I was going to wear and what I refused to
wear. It didn’t matter how crazy I looked I was intent on expressing myself.
Do you participate in your local fashion scene?
Not as much as I would like to, I just moved to a new city and am making
meeting people in the fashion scene a priority.
How does your day to day life factor into your wardrobe choices?
I don’t get as dressed up everyday because my job has strict dress codes.
So I take EVERY chance possible to express myself with fashion. I don’t
have any hang ups about wearing heels to run errands.
What is your greatest fashion pet peeve?
People who aren’t true to their own fashion sense.
Have you ever tried your hand at design or sewing?
Yes! I’ve dabbled in sewing and I am constantly reinventing pieces doing
DIY’s. I would love to design my own clothing! Hopefully in the near future.
Are there any designers that you like to wear or whose clothing
stands out with you?
Right now I love simple, interesting silhouettes and hemlines like in
Alexander Wang’s collection, and Balmain for their embellishments.
Who are your style icons?
I love Rihanna! I may not like every outfit she puts on but that’s why I
gravitate towards her. She is fearless and confident in her choices and isn’t
afraid to step outside of the box.
Your five must-haves as a girl:
- eyebrow pencil
- nude pumps
- large hoop earrings
- black fitted blazer.
tagged as: Shen D, BGKI, blackandkillingit, Interview, Alexander Wang, Rihanna, Mascara, Blazer,
- chelslov reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- niaslove likes this
- imperfectpefection reblogged this from afrodesiacworldwide
- imperfectpefection likes this
- mrstorme likes this
- francisco4059 likes this
- afrodesiacworldwide reblogged this from blaxicanbellaxo and added:
- afrodesiacworldwide likes this
- blaxicanbellaxo reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- januarybeauty likes this
- woobrat likes this
- iamkidcrayola reblogged this from fatshopaholic
- steadyjunior reblogged this from thatchicaray
- thatchicaray reblogged this from modestlygorgeous
- n-ational--a-nthem likes this
- modestlygorgeous reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- misscharfraz likes this
- iamcurvyvixen reblogged this from fatshopaholic
- justnetty likes this
- nakimuli likes this
- creaturetype likes this
- fallautumn likes this
- mindofaqueen reblogged this from fatshopaholic
- jamesmitchelll likes this
- mindofaqueen likes this
- fatshopaholic reblogged this from thefatandskinny
- thefatandskinny reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- simquik likes this
- thenappyandbeautiful reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- culturaldiaspora reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- fcuknmagnificient likes this
- s-tsahai likes this
- ffrosttt reblogged this from mamataughtmethat
- squintloveslg reblogged this from mamataughtmethat
- mamataughtmethat reblogged this from redefined-beauty
- redefined-beauty reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- glamnationinc likes this
- miindinz-11 reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- thesimplistadesire likes this
- thebeezlebabe likes this
- raisafareeda likes this
- decadents likes this
- spicytempura likes this
- usmandtt reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- imperfectvanities likes this
- dcpolitrix likes this
- foreversuperlative likes this
- brofather likes this
- vanitydollhouse likes this