BGKI has recently joined lookbook and we’re glad to share with you our first interview from there, meet Rejina Tyson…
What inspires you to blog?
My desire to express my creativity and to have a place to share it with others. I have so many ideas and blogging affords me the opportunity to showcase those ideas.
How would you define your personal style?
Eclectic- Translation “Wear whatever I like, whenever I feel like it!” ;)
Do you find that you follow fashion trends, or do you play by your own rules?
I mostly play by my own rules, since fashion trends can be a little limiting. However, I can appreciate certain fashion trends, so trends aren’t completely out of the picture for me.
Items to get, what are you searching for right now?
- I really want a pleated chiffon high-lo skirt
- a black and white striped blazer
- a durable big tote bag that I can take everywhere
Are there any colors you tend to shy away from, and if so why?
Nope. Any color is fair game and I think not limiting any colors is a good way to not limit your creativity when putting together outfits. But, I can totally understand staying away from colors that don’t work well with you.
When you hear the term “Black Girl Killing It” what comes to mind?
A super stylish and confident black girl who doesn’t care what people think. She can also rock any outfit like it’s nobody’s business.
As a child were you always into clothes or did you grow into your own fashion sense?
I have always been into clothes since I always viewed creating a personal fashion sense as a creative outlet.
Do you participate in your local fashion scene?
I just moved to LA but when I lived in Gainesville, FL I was pretty involved. I participated in a couple of local fashion shows both as a model and a designer. This year, I am thinking about participating in Gainesville Fashion Week as a designer and making a spring line. It would be a great opportunity to practice creating a cohesive line of clothing for a set season.
How does your day to day life factor into your wardrobe choices?
Basically, I let my plans for the day determine my wardrobe choices. I especially love when I have something special planned for the day because that’s when I really go all out. Otherwise, I try to dress comfortably and cute.
What is your greatest fashion pet peeve?
My greatest fashion pet peeve usually involves wearing tall boots during the summer. Don’t get me wrong, I love boots but I feel the taller they are the more careful you have to be when making an outfit with them. What really bugs me though, is when girls wear (summer) cut-off shorts with (winter) Ugg boots. I just feel like with that type of outfit you can’t win (you’ll either be too cold or too hot).
Have you ever tried your hand at design or sewing?
Yup, I have tried both. And I really love it! I have been designing for as long as I can remember. One of my friends was nice enough to let me design her wedding gown and the bridesmaid dresses! I was so excited and it turned out really nice.
As for sewing, I have definitely had my hand at it lately and it is so much fun. You can see how my sewing has been going by checking out my blog at http://youlikeitimadeit.blogspot.com/.
Are there any designers that you like to wear or whose clothing stands out with you?
I am currently loving Giuseppe Zanotti for shoes (some super cute stuff), Ralph Lauren (classic pieces that will never go out of style), Alexander McQueen’s Sarah Burton (she is good at what she does), and Azzedine Alaia (especially his crochet dresses).
Who are your style icons?
Joan (from Girlfriends), Carrie (from Sex in the City), Rihanna (her outfits rarely let me down), Jackie Onassis (classically chic), Blake Lively (because she styles her own outfits and does it well), and Leighton Meester (both as Blair from Gossip Girl and as herself).
Your five must-haves as a girl:
- Great shoes (I had to resist the temptation to list shoes five times)
- an everyday handbag that matches everything (the bigger the better)
- a great pair of Levi’s jeans (they’re ride or die)
- eye makeup (liner and mascara is a must)
- a Maxi Dress (of any style or color).
tagged as: Rejina Tyson, Lookbook, BGKI, blackandkillingit, Maxi Dress, Rihanna, Alexander McQueen, Azzedine Alaia,
- bosseslovejuicy reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- laserguun likes this
- naturallyblessedhair likes this
- freedombychoice reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- mentalatelier reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- jennafuh likes this
- theasefountain likes this
- nikki-freakin-fabulous reblogged this from nakeddiary
- nnennskii reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- nakeddiary reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- blackbeautyx33 reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- askayesha likes this
- ruthvolcy0926 reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- justfalana reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- cabell likes this
- ordinaryglory likes this
- astoldbyamberae likes this
- nwabisa likes this
- realitysmainbitch reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- realitysmainbitch likes this
- bigbeautifulblackgirls likes this
- kandykoatedx likes this
- horuscoded likes this
- fattiesoslim likes this
- kingmeson likes this
- blackandkillingit posted this