Local girls do it bad too, Simone Small is our latest Black Girl Killing It…
What inspires you to model?
I love creating beautiful images, always have. Looking at old photos of myself from childhood, I was always dressed super fly (thanks mom) and always posing. I used to stay up late back in the day in my mothers bed and watch Fashion Television with Jeanne Beker once a week. I loved Naomi Campbell, I was always excited when my mothers Victoria’s Secret catalogue would arrive at our house… Modelling came along pretty organically.
How would you define your personal style?
Eclectic and expensive. I mix and match between vintage, high fashion and high street. Off the rack/shopping at the mall is extremely boring to me. I like when I show up somewhere, even the grocery store and know that no one else will be wearing what I have on. For example today I’m wearing 6 inch chrome heeled platform ankle boots, a Missoni inspired knit legging from H&M, pink long sleeve tee, salt & pepper 3/4 length sleeve hooded rabbit fur jacket, beaded necklace from a market in Cape Town, black sequined beret, bicep length black lambskin gloves and my Louis Vuitton St. Cloud pm.
Do you find that you follow fashion trends, or do you play by your own rules?
I always play by my own rules. I do check the trends at times when I feel uninspired, but they usually push me into a completely different direction.
Items to get, what are you searching for right now?
- Chanel Jumbo XL
- Jil Sander blazer
- pair of black patent leather Louboutin Daffodil
Are there any colors you tend to shy away from, and if so why?
Not at all. When I was younger I didn’t like to wear red or blue, I thought that those colours didn’t go well with my skin, but as my personal style matured I realized that its all about hue. There are various different shades of red and blue to choose from. Now I wear every colour.
When you hear the term “Black Girl Killing It” what comes to mind?
I wonder what’s it?
As a child were you always into clothes or did you grow into your own fashion sense?
Always been a fashionista, I got it from my mama. Her collection was not only vast, it was fierce! I’ve inherited it with pride.
Do you participate in your local fashion scene?
Local is a relative concept, because of my work I’m rarely in a city for more than a few months at a time. I’m about to spend a lot more time in my hometown, which is where I’ve chosen to launch the flagship store of my first foray into vintage retail. Breadfruit Vintage will be opening in February of 2012.
How does your day to day life factor into your wardrobe choices?
I like to be comfortable so sometimes I dress lazily, but I’m changing that. Karl says sweat pants are the devil. When I’m working however I always show up and show out!
What is your greatest fashion pet peeve?
Matching from head to toe. Eww.
Have you ever tried your hand at design or sewing?
Lol… yep. Let’s not talk about that :)
Are there any designers that you like to wear or whose clothing stands out with you?
- Karl Lagerfeld
- LaQuan Smith
- Jil Sander
- Ellie Saab
Who are your style icons?
- Anna Della Russo
- Daphne Guinness
- June Ambrose
Your five must-haves as a girl:
- Red lipstick
- Black 5inch stilettos
- Anything fur
- A fabulous bag
- Paparazzi resistant eyewear
tagged as: Simone Small, BGKI, blackandkillingit, barbados, local,
- tofsla-and-vifsla likes this
- thesmallandmighty reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- thesmallandmighty likes this
- tashasen reblogged this from blackgirlsrpretty2
- purplejunkey likes this
- dblackmansworld reblogged this from blackgirlsrpretty2
- blackgirlsrpretty2 reblogged this from kweenelibeth and added:
- iapollogold reblogged this from darkskin-longlegs
- geniuswalks likes this
- ushasloves likes this
- allthatistrueandbeautiful reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- inhalejustbreath reblogged this from darkskin-longlegs
- tootsier0ll reblogged this from sunagainstmyskin
- nearparadisecity reblogged this from darkskin-longlegs
- darkskin-longlegs reblogged this from sunagainstmyskin
- sunagainstmyskin reblogged this from forbrowngirls
- nope-not-today likes this
- iamsircharles reblogged this from forbrowngirls
- iamsircharles likes this
- forbrowngirls reblogged this from positivelyhumble
- positivelyhumble reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- markings likes this
- morgansjourney likes this
- darkerberrysistas reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- lanomrah reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- cotecicotela reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- 2snapsandatwirl likes this
- maxshreck likes this
- memyself-you likes this
- mszluciie reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- uncommoninjanuary likes this
- blackandkillingit posted this