Bianca is our latest BGKI and she shares her style inspiration with us…
What inspires you to blog?
I needed an outlet to express myself and plus my mom kept telling me to do it
How would you define your personal style?
80s androygny & power dressing, mix with 90s weird kid.
Do you find that you follow fashion trends, or do you play by your own rules?
Of course I take note of what’s out there, especially when it comes to color trends—but I play by my rules. I get annoyed when every girl throws on some denim cut offs and platform shoes and says “look I’m fashionable now” being fashionable does don’t mean everyone looks alike. It’s about personal style. What makes this look say “you”
Items to get, what are you searching for right now?
- a coat that says “blade runner” I really liked some coats by BBDakota, but so did everyone else. Its my biggest flaw to stop liking something once everyone else jumps on board.
- I am also on the hunt for some good pants, any suggestions? ;)
Are there any colors you tend to shy away from, and if so why?
I don’t wear a lot of black, simply because my mom wouldn’t let me as a kid because it was “too adult” now I just forget to wear it but I’m trying to incorporate it more into my looks. Who knows this winter, I’m feeling very Stevie Nicks meets Cher via mermaids.
When you hear the term “Black Girl Killing It” what comes to mind?
I think of not just fashionable black girls, I think about black girls who know how to make a statement with confidence.
As a child were you always into clothes or did you grow into your own fashion sense?
Oh yes, I was always into clothes, I vividly remember picking out my look for my first day of kindergarten. Leggings, polka dots, mustard, fuchsia, and teal. Not much has changed.
Do you participate in your local fashion scene?
When I can. Chicago doesn’t do much, and with working and school I don’t get a lot of time to socialize outside of hanging out with my friends. I have been trying to get into it more since I started blogging more seriously. But I’m so awkward I usually stay home and watch project runway instead. :P
How does your day to day life factor into your wardrobe choices?
With blogging I have to force myself out of t-shirts by threadless and skinny jeans. I have to consider my look, and dress up for myself. The more I dress up for me, the more I love it. When I feel like I’m doing it for others I often feel uncomfortable.
What is your greatest fashion pet peeve?
As stated before, copy cat dressing. There’s a difference between taking inspiration and just merely ripping someone off to try to get “reblogs” or “hype”. How many denim cutoffs and platform shoes does my dashboard need?
Have you ever tried your hand at design or sewing?
Yes I have done some design work and some collaborations with designer, but more on that soon ;)
Are there any designers that you like to wear or whose clothing stands out with you?
I am a pendleton whore, I try to collect as much vintage pendleton as I possibly can! I squeal with joy when I can find a piece at my local thrift store for 2 bucks versus 200 at opening ceremony (who I also LOVE). I also adoring Tara Jarmon, Oscar de la Renta, and Milly right now.
Who are your style icons?
Chloe Sevingy, Solange Knowles, Bianca Jagger, Denis Huxtable, and all the grandmothers of the world!
Your five must-haves as a girl:
- Brown loafers
- Over-sized Blazer
- Statement Watch
- Vintage Sweater
- Chambray Button Down
tagged as: Bianca, BGKI, Interview, avantblargh, Solange Knowles, Milly, Oscar de la Renta, grandmothers,
- xzqterry likes this
- abroadsjunkie likes this
- authenticallyjp reblogged this from naturalbelle
- thadominoeffect reblogged this from prttykay and added:
- prttykay reblogged this from squidneyola
- squidneyola reblogged this from naturalbelle
- hk-barbie likes this
- onewhostandsoutfromtherest likes this
- cruxxnblows likes this
- novacaineandromance reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- officialwhitney likes this
- modedecocoa likes this
- porkchoppednscrewed reblogged this from naturalbelle and added:
- infamousforserpents likes this
- naturalstylishpoet reblogged this from naturalbelle
- beautifulinterlude likes this
- creativemadness likes this
- pangeasgarden likes this
- mixxedbreed likes this
- midochiquita likes this
- quietcutenkinky likes this
- sydplicityy likes this
- speakjah reblogged this from naturalbelle
- modaobsesionada likes this
- madebrand likes this
- ladytatyana reblogged this from naturalbelle
- naturalbelle reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- alifetodesire likes this
- astoldbywesley likes this
- meramermaidens likes this
- akenya likes this
- pinkaddicted92 reblogged this from nathanialucy
- jetsetwannabe likes this
- eccentricsoul likes this
- thefamousiamos likes this
- mrhoundztooth likes this
- mentalexodus likes this
- mrhoundztooth reblogged this from blackandkillingit and added:
- bulletproofb likes this
- bbqutie likes this
- zombie-dolly-parts reblogged this from avantblargh
- itz-esdee likes this
- dinkdonk likes this
- lifehappens490 likes this
- madamefall likes this
- blackbutrfly reblogged this from nathanialucy
- kindadopee reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- poeticharmonylove reblogged this from nathanialucy
- nathanialucy reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- wisdomanddelusion likes this