Our latest Black Girl Killing It Kristin Brooks talks to us about her style…
How would you define your personal style?
I would describe it as classic and effortless with a trendy twist. I like easy pieces that are very versatile. That way I can work them into some of my not so classic/practical pieces that create a nice balance between chic and sophisticated.
Do you find that you follow fashion trends, or do you play by your own rules?
The thing about trends are, most of the time you don’t realize you’re following the trend until after it’s already happening. I can’t lie and say that I don’t follow trends, because I subconsciously do. But if I honestly don’t like the trend, I won’t support it. I love vintage clothing and when I do shop for new clothes I really look for staple pieces that can be worn in numerous ways, and look to accessorizing to add that differentiating factor.
Are there any colours you tend to shy away from, and if so why?
Red. I love the color red, I even wear red lipstick, but for some reason I feel that red doesn’t go well with my complexion. It’s just a mental thing, I know that’s not really the case lol. I do however, have a pair of red pants that I’ve only worn twice. That’s the only red thing I own.
When you hear the term “Black Girl Killing It” what comes to mind?
Owning it. Knowing your worth. Being fly, educated, strong, and driven. That’s a Black girl killing it!!!
Do you accept anyone’s critique or are you confident in your style choices?
I’m very confident in my style choices. A lot of times people “don’t get it,” but that never bothers me. The only critique I usually consider are my best friends and my mom. Sometimes I’ll ask for their opinion in regards to styling an ensemble just to know what they’re thinking, not necessarily for their approval. And sometimes I don’t take their advice, even though I ask regularly lol.
As a child were you always into clothes or did you grow into your own fashion sense?
I can’t front like I was once a tomboy or just one day as I got older started loving fashion. I’ve always been into clothes. My mother was a great example. As a child I loved floral dresses and skirts that would twirl when I spun around, the socks with the frill, and my patent leather shoes lol. My parents kept me fresh and I was always aware of what quality clothing consisted of.
Do you participate in your local fashion scene?
There really isn’t a fashion scene where I live. Good ole suburbia. We do Uggs and Northfaces out here. So I would have to say, no I do not participate lol…
How does your day to day life factor into your wardrobe choices?
I currently work at a fine dining restaurant as a hostess so I’m always having to dress up (which I obviously don’t mind doing). A lot of blouses and pencil skirts, slacks and pumps, dresses and stylish tights… The key to my “work wardrobe” is having a lot of tops. I only have about 3 bottoms that I rotate (along with a few dresses), and just style them completely differently with what I wear on my upper half plus accessories and hair.
Speaking of hair… Being a natural sistah, I wear my hair in so many different styles. Besides work, my day-to-day wardrobe is mostly based on my hairstyle, which changes quite frequently. I’m always going to some event or gathering, so my hair always has to be done! Sometimes I’m going for an Audrey Hepburn inspired look, with my hair in a top knot bun, wearing black skinny slacks, a polka dotted silk blouse, pearls and ballet flats… Some days I’m feeling like a lioness with my large fro, rocking leopard print. My hair truly is the starting point to any ensemble.
What is your greatest fashion pet peeve?
People that think wearing only one designer is acceptable.
What is your favourite trend right now?
Mixing prints, not matching in general, and androgyny.
Have you ever tried your hand at design or sewing?
The closest I’ve gotten to design is removing the sleeves from a long sleeved shirt with a pair of scissors lol. I’m more of a stylist than a designer. No but seriously, I can sew, and make little alterations, but that’s only once every blue moon :)
Are there any designers that you like to wear or whose clothing stands out with you?
DVF is one of my favorite designers of all time. She shuts it down every season. She herself is a great example of class. Her designs are just so classy and sophisticated. I love how she’s not afraid of color, and still ties in prints and color combinations heavily influential of the 70’s. She will never go out of style!
Your five must-haves as a girl:
- Lint Brush
- Shiny lip gloss
- Pair of gold hoop earrings
- A really good bra (sexy, comfortable, and supportive)!
- Something with diamonds
tagged as: BGKI, blackandkillingit, Interview, Kristin Brooks, thekrissbliss,
- malissasoldblog likes this
- lovebuttandstuff likes this
- silentlypassionate reblogged this from deneshae
- makingsofasouthernbelle likes this
- kill-claudio-vol-2 likes this
- blackbutrfly reblogged this from thefatandskinny
- thefatandskinny reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- 3680photography likes this
- bonjourlover likes this
- kalimadevi reblogged this from krisbliss
- krisbliss reblogged this from blackandkillingit and added:
- onthephattrack likes this
- beautifulcurlyhair reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- vbad likes this
- alookintomymind likes this
- android-ink likes this
- tloui reblogged this from blackandkillingit and added:
- krisbliss likes this
- daftmongrel likes this
- ratsgang likes this
- jasminemelon likes this
- authenticbee likes this
- marioevon likes this
- margauxisbambi likes this
- whtslxry likes this
- imagein likes this
- ifynwa likes this
- princesstai likes this
- wrcsolace reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- tiesbyleon likes this
- deneshae reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- drhiphop reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- thewonderyears likes this
- thebarraised reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- weltabgewandt likes this
- livelaughlovelocs likes this
- kingmeson said: really enjoyed this profile. great style, sounds intelligent and she’s cute to boot. woo-hoo! more like Kris.
- teenuhgotit likes this
- natashaconquersworld likes this
- kweenelibeth reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- kweenelibeth likes this
- vivalafashion7 reblogged this from blackandkillingit
- closeencountersofthepeculiarmind likes this
- chocolateduress likes this
- lordxerxes likes this
- viiixxxmmx likes this
- blackandkillingit posted this